- Self-Assessment : One must attempt to learn about oneself in terms of interests,
aptitude, values, soft skills, and personality type.
- Prepare a List of Career Options : Prepare a list of careers appealing to you
based on your interests and those are a good fit for you. Also include the career
options you know a bit about and those about which you don’t know much too.
- Explore the List of Career Options : Gather basic information about each of the
career option in your list in the form of job opportunities in that domain and
educational training required for the same. One should also look for higher study
options in the same domain.
- Narrow Down the List of Options : Based on the information gained in the
previous step, narrow down the list of options by eliminating the options you are
not interested in pursuing.
- Gather Concrete Information : Meet people working/teaching the area you are
interested in and gather concrete information of the option in which you are
- Finalize your Career Option : Finalize the option now which you find most
satisfactory for you and you wish to pursue as a career.
- Define Goals : Define your long as well as short term goals. Long term goals
include completing the education required to pursue your choice as a career and
short-term goals could be applying to right university, training, internship, and
- Develop an Action Plan : Develop an action plan laying down the steps to follow
to achieve short term and in turn long turn goals. It should also incorporate the
plan to avoid/resolve any hindrances in your way.